Wednesday, March 4, 2009

WG - Collaging with Natural Materials

Knowing how much being out in nature inspires children to explore I wanted to bring the outside in during our last collage experience. When Sebastien and I are out and about we collect interesting items we find outside. These were some of the materials I set out for the children to explore. In addition to leaves, small sticks, and bark I also included feathers and yarn (cream, brown, and green to compliment the natural pallet already presented) in the natural materials to explore. I was hoping the children would really get into exploring the natural materials but the experience wasn't received with as much enthusiasm as I had hoped.

Due to a computer/YouTube malfunction (that I don't understand) I am sad to say that I don't have any videos to share this week for the Wednesday group. However, here's a rundown of the children's experiences.

Sebastien and Caleb found the yarn to be especially engaging. Caleb spread the yarn across the contact paper and then Sebastien would try to pick the pieces up and put them back into the container. Sebastien and Caleb both liked to throw the yarn up in the air, Sebastien was particularly dramatic in the execution.

IMG_1142 IMG_1160

Theo and Max both separated their explorations into feeling the "sticky" contact paper and then carefully examining the materials. Max brought the dust pan with him to the table and used that to scrape along the surface with one hand as he felt the contact paper with the other. The feathers Sebastien had placed on the contact paper eventually caught his eye and he touched them carefully before he lifted one back into a bin. Max also transfered a leaf he twirled around from one container to another. Theo began by using just one finger to touch the contact paper. He then moved on to examining a leaf and a stick. Theo then scooped up some of the yarn and took it over to his mother, as he did the yarn fell onto the floor and it took some tricky maneuvering to get all those pieces back into his two hands.

IMG_1172 IMG_1158

Zadie circled the table and looked closely at the items but chose to engage more in the environment. Dara, her mother was surprised she wasn't more interested in the leaves as she has expressed great interest when they are in nature. She did return to the table later when she was given the green light to use the markers on the contact paper/collage surface.

IMG_1155 IMG_1185

Reflecting on the experience I wondered what would have made the materials more appealing to the children? Is it the elements that influence these materials outside (the sun, water, wind, etc.) what make them so fascinating in their natural environment? Would a bin full of leaves, twigs, and bark made a bigger impact? How can I bring more of the outdoors into the everyday materials already provided in the environment?

No comments: